Saturday, April 30, 2016

The Moosewood Cookbook

It occurred to me that as I had recommended you try a recipe from a cookbook that is no longer in print, I should say something about it and actually *give* you the recipe.


The cookbook is, of course, The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen.  Originally published in 1974, the one in the picture is the 1977 Ten Speed Press edition.

In the early 70's, Mollie Katzen was part of the Moosewood Collective, which founded Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca, New York.  She put together a book of their recipes and illustrated it herself.  Today it is one of the best-known vegetarian cookbooks out there, and was named to the Cookbook Hall of Fame by the James Beard Foundation in 2007.

It's one of my favorites, and one of these days I will get myself a hardcover copy to replace the softcover that is getting more beat up every year.  It was in the gift shop where I was working and the illustrations were wonderful, and the recipes looked so good!  I love the Zucchanoes (stuffed zucchini), the Greek Pilaf, Vegetable Stroganoff, Polenta and Spicy Vegetables...but best of all, the Whole Wheat Macaroni--Russian Style.  So here it is.

Whole Wheat Macaroni -- Russian Style
6-8 servings, 1 1/2 hours to prepare (including baking)

Combine:
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 cups cottage cheese
1 cup grated cheddar
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 chopped scallions
1 chopped green pepper

Sauté in butter:
2 cups shredded cabbage
1/2# sliced mushrooms
1 chopped carrot
1 tsp. caraway seeds

Boil in salted water till just underdone:
2 cups raw whole wheat macaroni
-- drain and butter

Combine everything. Add 2 Tbs. tamari sauce and lots of fresh black pepper.

Bake in a buttered casserole, covered, at 350 degrees 40 minutes.

Optional additions:
toasted cashews
toasted sunflower or sesame seeds
chopped fresh spinach

Serve with fresh tomato slices (sprinkle them with basil)

----------------------
That's her recipe, verbatim from the page.  I'd add that it's very forgiving so far. Sometimes the cabbage has been red instead of the onion, I've never used whole wheat macaroni, and I love the sunflower seeds.  Oh, and extra caraway.  Yes, that's a lot of dairy, which is one of the reasons I make it less frequently than I would like.  But oh, it's tasty!



No comments:

Post a Comment