Friday, April 8, 2016

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a copy of The Natural Breakfast Book (a Rodale Organic Living Paperback). It was cheap, my hopes were not high. 1973 + "Organic Living" frequently means what I tend to stereotype as "bad hippie vegetarian cooking", something I ran into in the 80's as prepared by college students with more high-minded politics than tastebuds or money. Tasteless beans and grains. Bleah! (This does not have to happen! Idea for a cookbook: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Lentil.)

Anyway, the books of that era are frequently also tasteless. But I was flipping through this last night and behold! Eggs! Meat, fish and cheese! And....

 "Another phrase to watch for is 'water-ground'. Millers who go to the trouble of keeping an old mill going under water power usually have the strength of character to use a good variety of corn to make their meal."

 "Corn pones are a quickly-made substitute for bread, with a flavor and eating consistency that hearkens back to pioneer days. You must have good teeth and strong jaws to eat corn pones. They quickly make you realize the sissy character of most modern foods." Authorial snark is a good sign. I think I'll check this one out a little more carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment